December NT Pastoral Market Update
Tropical Low in the Arafura Sea
- A Tropical Cyclone Watch has been declared between Cape Don (Coburg Peninsula) and Gove for the tropical low currently sitting around 85km north northeast of Cape Wessel and 200km north of Gove.
- It is expected to slowly track towards the NT coast during the next three days.
- There’s a high chance the low will intensify to Tropical Cyclone strength in the early hours of Thursday morning.
- We’re expecting the system to intensify to Category 2 strength on Thursday, and cross the coast between Maningrida and Goulburn Island early on Friday.
- Gale force winds may start impacting parts of the northern coast from Wednesday.
Rainfall and wind
- A marine wind warning for strong winds has now been issued for the Arafura Coast.
- Rainfall amounts will be highly dependent on how far south the system tracks through the Top End.
- The north coast is likely to experience the highest rainfall with 3 day totals of 200-300mm, with isolated falls up to 500mm in the hardest hit places.
- Daily rainfall totals could exceed 200m in locations close to the system.
- The flood team will be assessing the possible impacts of rainfall for the Top End, and a Flood Watch may be issued later this week.
Saskia Pickles | Media and Communications Manager NT
Working Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
Bureau of Meteorology
Level 3, 13 Scaturchio Street, Casuarina NT 0810
GPO Box 40050 Casuarina NT 0810
Tel: 08 8920 3870 | saskia.pickles
Please find a summary of the Media regarding the Indonesia Australian Breeder Cattle Development Program Courtesy of the Aust Live Export Council
- The original ABC online article by Kath Sullivan has been played across multiple channels including the Indonesia morning news is here
- Kath Sullivan also did a television interview yesterday which is available here and has been played across multiple channels
- Mark Harvey Sutton interview with Sky News yesterday is here
- WA Country Hour here (1:24 start) Mark Harvey Sutton’s full interview with Kath Sullivan and then interview with Emma White CEO KPCA
- Beef Central article released yesterday is here
- RSPCA released a statement here focusing on LiveX and sent it out on Twitter – This is being questioned by other journalists and industry advocates and “called out” as a Government issue not LiveX which is positive.
- LiveCorp report summary here
- The Australian article by the South-East Asian correspondent based in Jakarta Amanda Hodge is here